[lug] Fwd: Looking for Linux sys admins
mec at dotorg.org
Tue Jul 29 10:53:25 MDT 2003
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
The attached message came to my inbox here, guys, and I thought you might want
to know about it -- those of you still looking for gainful employment, that
- ---------- Forwarded Message ----------
Subject: Looking for Linux sys admins
Date: Friday 25 July 2003 17:04
From: <erica at venturesonline.com>
To: <mec at dotorg.org>
I hope you won't mind me contacting you concerning this, but I noticed
you're listed as the point of contact for the Northern Colorado LUG on
Redhat's website. I work for a medium-sized web hosting/colocation company
in the DTC, called Ventures Online (www.venturesonline.com). We're a Redhat
shop and having a difficult time finding new employees that are truly
skilled in Linux. It was suggested to me by one of our employees that I get
in touch with some of the local Linux user groups. I was wondering if any
of the members of your user's group might be interested in the two open
positions we're currently looking to fill. We're currently hiring for two
part-time/weekend shifts -- the hours are a little wacky, but might work out
well for someone who's going to school or is looking to pick up a 2nd job.
Our support team is excellent (all top-notch Linux 'geeks') and the work
environment at VO is pretty laid back (i.e. Nerf guns required, dress code
Below is a copy of the job description. If anyone's interested, resumes can
be sent to careers at venturesonline.com (which comes directly to me). I can
also be reached at 720-279-2011 x111 if there are any questions on the
Thank you for your time!
VP of Operations
Job Title: Linux System Administrator
Location: Denver Tech Center, Greenwood Village, CO
# of Open Positions: 2
Shifts Available: (Please specify which shift you're interested in)
Thurs, Fri, Sat from 10:00 pm - 8:00 am (overnight)
Sat & Sun from 1:00 pm - 10:00 pm (hours may be adjusted slightly)
Pay Rate: $14.00 - 16.00 Hourly
* Experience with UNIX or Linux hosted web environments.
* Minimum of 2 years production experience with Red Hat Linux, FreeBSD or
UNIX administration and system integration.
* Experience with Apache and web hosting technologies.
* Understanding of Internet principles and services, including FTP, domain
registration, DNS, and SSL.
* Comfortable working in a shell environment.
* Development experience with PERL and PHP scripting and related tools.
* Experience with cPanel, Ensim, and/or Plesk control panels a plus.
* Ability to troubleshoot and perform maintenance on server hardware.
* Understanding of networking, routers and switches.
* Excellent written and oral communication skills.
* Excellent organizational and analytical skills.
* Authorization to work in U.S. without sponsorship.
* Candidate will be subject to an aptitude examination.
* Answers, evaluates, and prioritizes service requests received via help
desk tickets and e-mail.
* Analyzes and corrects problems using documented procedures, available
tools, and personal knowledge and skills.
* Troubleshoots server hardware and software problems and identifies,
categorizes, and resolves problems.
* Assists with server management by responding to server issues that may
require application or database shutdown/startup, server reboot, or
restarting of server services.
* Tests and deploys new software and procedures; performs installation,
conversion and upgrade activities.
* Works with team members to resolve more complex problems and escalates
difficult or time-consuming issues to next level of support.
* Logs and tracks tickets using help desk database, and maintains history
records and related problem documentation.
Records resolution information in knowledge management database.
* Other duties as determined.
VenturesOnline.com, LLC is an equal opportunity employer.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.2.1 (GNU/Linux)
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
More information about the LUG