[lug] OT: wiring a house for ethernet

Gary Hodges Gary.Hodges at noaa.gov
Mon Jun 28 12:38:16 MDT 2004

Ryan Wheaton wrote:

>> Yes, we will most definitely get permission from the landlord.
>> we have 802.11b right now (for laptops), but the speed difference is 
>> just too much.  We do a lot of file transfers between computers and 
>> such, and I find 802.11b to be tedious when transferring files.  
>> Exactly how much faster is 802.11g?  Still, the problem with that is 
>> that we'd incur a lot of cost buying a new wifi router (802.11g) and 
>> new wifi nics for all the workstations...  The cheapest G router i've 
>> found is $55 and the cheapest G nics i've seen are $30 a piece.  That 
>> would be about $175 to get it in there across the board for all our 
>> workstations...  If the speed is there, then i'd probably be 
>> completely willing to invest, but I'm just not really convinced.

Candlelight Electric, a Tom Martino sponser, advertises that for ~$30 
they will come to you house and give you firm quote for all work.  The 
$30 is apllied to the job if you use them.  It might give you an idea on 
how much trouble it would be to do the work yourself.


More information about the LUG mailing list