[lug] Perl DBD::mysql

Thomas R Detman Thomas.R.Detman at noaa.gov
Tue Jun 29 15:44:08 MDT 2004

Once I was a happy camper running RedHat 7.2.
I had the perl DBI to MySQL working perfectly.

But I was told, I must upgrade. It seemed to make sense.

So, I upgraded to RH 9.0.  It broke so many things that
I got ticked off and wipped it by installing KRUD 7.3.
(I was even happier than before, but it couldn't last.)

I upgraded to RH 9.0 again and began to slowly cobbled
my working environment back together as best I could.

(There are new and nifty things that I do like.  I think
most of my pain is due to the switch from Gnome to Gnome2.
Is there a way to go back to Gnome?)

I've tried several times now to get MySQL and the perl DBI
working again, without success.  I've had MySQL working,
both 4.0.20 and the latest RH rpm version (mysql-3.23.58-1.9),
mostly not at the same time.

Getting the perl interface, DBD::mysql, installed is road-block.
I get warnings and error messages, like in the following:

]# perl -MCPAN -e shell
cpan> get DBD::mysql
cpan> exit
]# cd /root/.cpan/build/DBD-mysql-2.9003
]# perl Makefile.PL
Unsuccessful stat on filename containing newline at 
/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0/ExtUtils/Liblist/Kid.pm line 97.
(above message repeated about 30 times, then)

Multiple copies of Driver.xst found in: 
/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi/auto/DBI at Makefile.PL 
line 295
Using DBI 1.42 (for perl 5.008 on i386-linux-thread-multi) installed in 
Writing Makefile for DBD::mysql

(However, it did create a Makefile.)

]# make
Makefile:89: *** missing separator.  Stop.

(Looking at the Makefile, there are obvious syntax errors.)

HELP! Anyone! I do not have a clue what the real problem is,
or how to get around it.

Tom Detman

More information about the LUG mailing list